Monday, August 4, 2014

A breakthrough cure for Ebola

A breakthrough cure for Ebola

Ebola is one of the nastiest, most frightening viruses known to man. Its victims suffer fevers, muscle weakness, and other symptoms that progress to severe bleeding, both internal and external, that eventually causes them to bleed to death. All known strains of Ebola virus have very high mortality rates, ranging from 25% to 90%, and there is no cure. Ebola virus was the subject of a dramatic and frightening 1995 disaster movie, Outbreak, starring Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo, and Morgan Freeman.

Last week, in what may be the biggest medical breakthrough of its kind in years, a group of scientists published results in The Lancet describing a completely new type of anti-viral treatment that appears to cure Ebola. They report a 100% success rate, although admittedly the test group was very small, just 4 rhesus monkeys.

This is a breakthrough not only because it may give us a cure for an uncurable, incredibly nasty virus, but also because the same method might work for other viruses, and because we have woefully few effective antiviral treatments. We can treat bacterial infections with antibiotics, but for most viruses, we have either a vaccine or nothing. And a vaccine, wonderful as it is, doesn’t help you after you’re already infected.

The scientists, led by Thomas Geisbert at Boston University, used a relatively new genomics technique called RNA interference to defeat the virus. Here’s how it works. First, a little background: the Ebola virus is made of RNA, just like the influenza virus. And just like influenza, Ebola has very few genes - only 8. One of its genes, called L protein, is responsible for copying the virus itself. Two others, called VP24 and VP35, interfere with the human immune response, making it difficult for our immune system to defeat the virus.

Geisbert and his colleagues (including scientists from Tekmira Pharmaceuticals and USAMRIID) designed and synthesized RNA sequences that would stick to these 3 genes like glue. How did they do that? We know the Ebola genome’s sequence – it was sequenced way back in 1993. And we know that RNA sticks to itself using the same rules that DNA uses. This knowledge allowed Geisbert and colleagues to design a total of 10 pieces of RNA (called “small interfering RNA” or siRNA) that they knew would stick to the 3 Ebola genes. They also took care to make sure that their sticky RNA would not stick to any human genes, which might be harmful. They packaged these RNAs for delivery by inserting them into nanoparticles that were only 81-85 nanometers across.

In the key experiment, the scientists infected rhesus monkeys with a dose of Ebola that was 30,000 times greater than the normal fatal dose. They injected the siRNA treatments 30 minutes later, and again each day for 6 days. All the monkeys survived with no long-term effects.

When I read this story in The Lancet, my first reaction was: wow. A brand-new antiviral treatment, and against Ebola? In a commentary in The LancetHeinz Feldmann wrote that we are “in desperate need of approved countermeasures against Ebola-virus infections,” and called the new study a “milestone.” That’s putting it mildly.

Somehow, except for the UK Daily Mail, the major media outlets seem to have entirely missed this story, which I think is by far the biggest medical story of the week, if not the year. Ebola virus doesn’t get much attention (notwithstanding the 1995 movie about it), primarily because it occurs in central Africa. But air travel has made our world much smaller, and even a relatively isolated virus could easily get out of control.

There’s still a much work needed to turn the new Ebola treatment into an approved drug, but the prospect of a cure is suddenly very real, and the techniques used to create it are truly remarkable.
- See more at: http://genome.fieldofscience.com/2010/05/breakthrough-cure-for-ebola.html#sthash.KUSCbblD.RwKI9RQ9.dpuf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Used nano-colloidal silver from home generator invested in yrs. ago to wonderful effect, sharing same with many others, as one can generate it @ cost of just pennies per quart. www.thesilveredge.com is online source, with much great info also, tho ours was mail ordered b4 'puter used much. Ebola, MRSA & other "scary" threats can be effectively eliminated with this solution. Blessings 2 ALL always in all ways-freemom7 :)

Anonymous said...

Why do you suppose the Nazi 'gov' and 'medical profession' want to provide DRUGS when a home made supply of colloidal silver will cure ebola and all other viruses and infections????? Do you suppose that by requiring DRUGS this would be a means to make life and death determinations on people's lives??? That refusing the individual's right to self determine his/her own treatment, especially a treatment that can be easily, quickly and at very minimal cost at home, can increase the chances of culling society in America - the goal of this Nazi regime? Research: http://drrimatruthreports.com/wp-content/uploads/Analysis-of-DTRA-Nano-Silver-Study.pdf and http://youtu.be/5lrAzN2WgyQ and http://TinyURL.com/StopEbola

Unknown said...

My name is Adams Michell,am from liberia I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who cured me from Ebola virus.i went to many hospitals, churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me by introducing me to a powerful man, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me he number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that am free from Ebola virus t thought he was not true until i went for text i found out that am free. so if you are also infected please email him at drakugbeherbalcentre@gmail.com and also contact him at +2348074839242

MARY said...

i want to share this wonderful testimony to the world as a
whole in case there is some body in this same situation. i was
diagnosed of EBOLA VIRUS good 7 months,until i meant a
woman with name Anita she told me about a man called Dr Akhere ,i was not too sure
if he was real until i contacted him my self. I thought that there
was never a cure for my deadly ailment but Dr Akhere told me that his
herbs could cure me, and then i decided to give him a try, he then
told me that once i start taking his herbs, that it will only take me
some days to be cured, i believed him and took the herb with faith.
after he gave me the medication, i took it and i was feeling some new
signs in my body and i decided to go for a test and the result stated
that i was EBOLA VIRUS negative, i was very happy and even called my pastor
and told him about it, i am very happy that i am now free from EBOLA VIRUS and
i am also happy that i will not be celebrating this Christmas as an
EBOLA VIRUS patient as i have did for the past, so help me say a very
big thank you to Dr Akhere for saving me from the hands of the
deadly ailment. if you are also in this type of situation and you are
seeking for solution, seek no more for you have received the right
information you have been wanting for a very long time in this type of
issues you are very free to contact Dr Akhere today through his
email: drakherespiritualtemple@gmail.or call him on his mobile number :
+447087697619. i strongly believe that he will help you out just as
he did mine, God bless.email him now, drakherespiritualtemple@gmail